Thursday, September 4, 2014

Pallet Cooler

Having snagged a few pallets from work, I decided I better do something with them before the spousal unit has a fit.  Digging around the interwebs, I ran across a stand up cooler made from them!  Perfect!  After watching a few youtube video's of others builds, I took from most of them, added my own twist and ended up with this;



It was really a fun build! I've shown it to a few people and have now committed to building 2 more of them myself, and assisting on another 2.  Some of the features;

  • Bottle opener mounted to the side... for Corona's and other non-twisty top bee.. sodas!
  • Plumbed in a valve that has a garden hose sized connection on the side.  This allows me to connect a piece of garden hose and drain the cooler off the deck without a wet mess everywhere!
  • All but 2 support pieces of wood (for the under side of the cooler) came from pallets at no cost and would have gone to the dump otherwise.
  • Cheap!  Well - ish...  I figure about $60 in parts with the cooler, plumbing fixtures, hinges, handles, opener et al.
All in all, was really worth the hastle to do - I bet I have 12 hours plus into the build, but subsequent builds will go much faster. Tearing down the pallets is a LARGE chunk of the build time.

The next build I call "version 2.0" has a few minor updates - wider side shelves to hold drinks easier as you put-them-in or take-them-out. Plus that allows me to also attach handles made from the "tops" of the legs as well for easier moving.

To see how to build this check out this page.



No comments:

Post a Comment